2013 International Television & Film Awards Technical Requirements
1. DELIVERY REQUIREMENTS
There are several ways to deliver your entries to us and the size of the file determines which method to use. We recommend that all entries be uploaded. All uploaded videos must be in the QuickTime .mov format with stereo audio and h.264 encoding. Entries may use a single title graphic (slate) to identify the entry, if desired. Do not use Bars & Tone. Do not use a countdown. Entries may not be divided into chapters. If you have additional questions, please contact our Processing and IT departments at firstname.lastname@example.org
We have links for files less than ONE GIG. We have an ftp site for files larger than ONE GIG. All uploaded videos must be in the QuickTime .mov format with stereo audio and h.264 encoding.
SINGLE entries up to 10 minutes in length (TV Promos, IDs, or Opens, Short Films, Features, Reports)
If these have a file size of less than ONE GIG, these can be uploaded via customized links (one for each entry) through our website. Detailed instructions will arrive via email within one hour of completing checkout.
If these have a file size larger than ONE GIG, these should be submitted via uploading to our ftp site.
SINGLE entries longer than 10 minutes in length (Complete programs, full –length films)
Since these have a file size larger than ONE GIG, these should be submitted via uploading to our ftp site. Entrants have the option of uploading a cut-down instead of the full episode minus any commercials. A cut-down is an excerpt of the full work or a compilation of a series of clips resulting in a piece 7-10 minutes in length that best represents the essence of the submission.
All SERIES entries
Since these have a file size larger than ONE GIG, these should be submitted via uploading to our ftp site. Each entry should feature up to three episodes or segments that best represent the entire series. There is no length restriction on your episodes. The three episodes should be uploaded in full to our ftp as three separate files. Entrants also have the option of submitting up to three separate cut-downs via uploading to our ftp. Edit each episode (or compile a series of clips) resulting in a piece 7-10 minutes in length that best represents the essence of the submission. If your series has three episodes, you will have 3 cut-downs, and you will have 3 files to upload.
2. ENTRY TECHNICAL SPECIFICATION FORMATTING:
New York Festivals displays your entries in an encoded format to our online Grand Jury to judge. Access is password protected.
No other entrants are able to view your uploaded submissions. Various ftp software programs may display an error message when connecting to let you know that your material will not be listed in a directory.
We no longer accept entries on tape-based media. We accept Quicktime .mov files.
Please maintain the original frame rate and frame size (SD - 640x480 and HD - 1920x1080 or 720x1280) of your entry. Judges have commented that Time Code or watermarks are distracting so we ask that you submit the on-air/final version of your entry. Please note on your slate whether your entry is 16x9 or 4x3.
Entries submitted via links upload to our website:
In order to be uploaded through customized links, your entry submission must have a total file size of less than One GIG.
Once you have checked out and you have indicated that you wish to upload your entry(s) to our website, our data base will email you an invoice. At the bottom of the invoice will be links that will allow you to upload your entry(s) directly from your computer into our system, using a browse function /file dialogue. Once you have located your entry file, click on that file and the upload process can begin.
Please make sure that you upload(attach) all pieces of your entries. There is a separate link for every piece of every entry submission.
Our streamlined online entry system will let you know how long it will take to upload your file, based on its size, your internet connection and web traffic. Remember that your own internet connection will also determine how long the upload process will take for your entry. A file which is 1 GIG will take approximately 30 minutes to upload with a high speed connection.
All uploaded videos must be in the QuickTime .mov format (16x9 or 4x3, HD or SD) with stereo audio and h.264 encoding. Please note on your slate whether your entry is 16x9 or 4x3.
Entries submitted via upload to our FTP:
To prepare your entry submissions for uploading, please follow the following steps.
- Create a folder on your desktop (either PC or MAC). Use your NYF Invoice Number to name this folder.
- Copy each entry submission piece into this folder. Use your NYF Entry Item ID Number ONLY to name each file and include each piece number by adding a dash and the piece number to the entry Item ID number. Do not use any spaces with the dash. Do not use any text to name the files. Do not include the title of the submission. If you entry has only one episode, it has one piece.
- 431245-1.mov (Piece1)
- 431245-2.mov (Piece2)
- 431245-3.mov (Piece 3)
- 456123-1.mov (Piece 1)
- 443580-1.mov (Piece 1)
Once you have created this folder, you may upload all of your entries at one time or select which files you want to upload at different times. Please copy each file from the folder to the ftp. Do not copy the folder itself. If you are uploading more than one file, the system will list the files in a queue.
Our streamlined online entry system will let you know how long it will take to upload your file, based on its size, your internet connection and web traffic. Remember that your own internet connection will also determine how long the upload process will take for your entry. A file which is FIVE GIGS will take approximately 25 minutes to upload with a high speed connection.
To upload your entry submission files, you must have the FTP software installed on your desktop.
If you don’t have the FTP software, here are three options to use in order of preference. Please download the software from the links listed.
Now, you are ready to upload your entry submissions. You will receive FTP credentials on your invoice.
You may enter additional submissions at another time. Just remember to follow the preparation steps.
Entries which are urls/links:
If you use this option, we recommend that you follow the file size and formats above. Please remember to keep the links active through the entire process including the ceremony.
Entries submitted by mail or by courier:
We no longer encourage this form of delivery. It is costly for entrants. We strongly suggest that entrants upload their submissions. Uploading gives entrants maximum control over their submissions and ensures a better quality for the jury’s evaluation.
Entries which submit by mail/courier must be submitted on DVD (either NTSC or PAL systems). We recommend that you maintain the original frame rate and frame size of your entry and native resolution. If submitting a DVD that is burned in-house, you must remove all region and security encryption. Please note on your slate whether your entry is 16x9 or 4x3.
3. TEXT FORMATTING:
All entries must use the following standards for text formatting. These standards allow us to better judge and showcase your work.
Title of Entry and Brand Name Format:
- Proper Case (all first letters capitalized) must be used in the title and brand name. Series entries must be named with a single series title or with individual program titles separated by slashes.
- Single Entry Example: Title Of Entry
- Series Example: Title One / Title Two
- Series Example with overall title: Series Title of Entry
- Include text in Sentence Case (first letter of each sentence capitalized). Do not use all capital or all lowercase letters.
- Example: This entry is a children's program. It is targeted toward ages 8 to 14.
- Talent names and job titles must be in Proper Case (all first letters capitalized). Do not use all capital or all lower case letters. There is a separate field for each name and each title. Do not abbreviate job titles unless necessary.
4. ONLINE FORMS
We no longer accept offline paper forms. Please use our online entry system for each of your submissions. A printable record of the total for all your entries will be automatically generated at Checkout. This record will include an invoice for the total amount due and shipping instructions with the Entry Item ID labels for any submissions which cannot be uploaded and which will require mailing.
If you cannot upload your entry, we ask you do the following three things before you package your entries for mail or courier:
- As soon as you receive the email sent to you immediately after checkout, make extra copies.
- Cut out the Entry Item ID labels provided in the second half of the record and attach to each individual entry. Attach the provided mailing address label to the package to be shipped. IMPORTANT: These labels contain important coding information specific to each entry and MUST be attached.
- Enclose a copy of the record you received immediately after checkout in the shipping carton along with your entry(s).
- Note: All shipping costs, insurance, customs duties and handling fees for all entries must be prepaid by the sender. We cannot assume responsibility for customs clearance. Send labeled materials, along with the computer-generated invoice to:
- New York Festivals
- 260 West 39th Street, 10th Floor
- New York, NY 10018, USA
- Tel. 212.643.4800